DHQ recovers hacked X account

  Chikwesiri Michael

  LOCAL NEWS

Tuesday, August 18, 2026   9:59 AM

291380687.jpg

Share Now

The Defence Headquarters has recovered its official X account after it was compromised.

The military authorities confirmed the recovery in a brief post on the account on Monday, saying, “WE’RE BACK. Thank you for your patience and continued support.”

The development came two days after the DHQ disclosed that its official X account had been compromised in an attempted cyberattack.

In a statement on Saturday by the Director of Defence Information, Maj Gen Samaila Uba, the DHQ said the incident was being treated as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access.

The statement read, “The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access.”

Uba had said efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the account, warning members of the public to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that might be posted from the account during the period.

He said, “The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period.”

The Director of Defence Information said the DHQ remained committed to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians received accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

He appreciated the public for its understanding and vigilance, saying further updates would be provided as necessary.

Pending the restoration of the X account, the DHQ had urged members of the public to rely on its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook, Instagram and its WhatsApp Channel, for official information.


Say Something :