Fubara, others withdraw from guber race, cite party unity, irregularities

  Chikwesiri Michael

  POLITICS

Thursday, May 21, 2026   11:22 AM

390919543.jpg

Share Now

The political crisis in Rivers State that had held governance to a standstill in the last three years came to a conclusive end last night when Governor Siminalayi Fubara announced his withdrawal from the All Progressives Congress governorship primaries.
 
In a statement, the Governor said the decision followed wide consultations with family, friends, and political associates, stressing that personal ambition must give way to the greater interest of Rivers people.
 
The aspirant thanked supporters for their loyalty and sacrifices throughout the political journey, acknowledging the disappointment many may feel over the withdrawal. He cited the need for peace, unity, and stability in the state, adding that the silence maintained in recent weeks was deliberate and guided by the state’s higher interest.
 
While hinting at recent political developments, the Governor said some issues were best handled quietly in the interest of peace, insisting the decision was not borne out of fear or weakness.
 
He also appreciated the APC leadership and President Bola Tinubu for their support and encouragement, while urging party faithful to remain united and committed to the party ahead of the governorship election.
 
“Let it be clearly understood that I stepped aside from participating in the upcoming River’s state Gubernatorial election not out of weakness, fear, or surrender, but out of conviction and sacrifice so that Rivers State may move forward in peace and unity and I remain committed to serving the good people of Rivers State till the end of my term,” the statement read.
 
This development came after governors elected on the platform of the party failed in their overtures to save one of their own from being disgraced. This is coming after Fubara’s loyalists seeking tickets for the Rivers House of Assembly, House of Representatives and the Senate were disqualified to pave the way for aspirants aligned with the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike.
 
The batter was lost for Fubara after the governor was alienated from his men, who all lost out in the power game within the party. Members of the Progressive Governors Forum had earlier resolved to stand firmly behind Fubara, insisting that no political humiliation or injustice should be allowed against a sitting APC governor, but it was a feeble attempt, as Fubara’s hands were reportedly tied to the political agreement broached by President Tinubu for the governor to drop his second-term ambition.

AHEAD of today’s governorship shadow election of the ruling APC, several gladiators who had earlier talked tough and insisted on a fight to the finish succumbed to overtures from party leaders.
 
Last night, former Rivers State APC governorship candidate, Tonye Cole, announced his withdrawal from the party’s primary election, stating that the decision was taken in the overriding interest of peace, reconciliation, and the supremacy of the party following extensive consultations.
 
Describing himself as a committed democrat and advocate of strong institutions, he pledged his full support and cooperation to whoever emerges as the party’s candidate at the end of the primaries. He urged all his supporters to remain calm and peaceful and to fully cooperate with the party’s leadership.

constituency, and assurances of strict compliance with APC constitutional provisions in future exercises.
 
In Ajeromi-Ifelodun Federal Constituency, Taiwo alleged that after votes were counted, the incumbent lawmaker, Hon. Kalejaiye Paul, scored 112 votes, while he polled 3,821 votes.
In another petition, Ganiyu Adele Ayuba of Ajeromi-Ifelodun Federal Constituency called on the party leadership to nullify what he described as the wrongful declaration that Hon. Olabisi Adebajo was the winner of the primary election, insisting that he won the contest with 37,021 votes.
 
According to Oladejo’s petition, “The Returning Officer disappeared from the collation centre at the Mushin Local Government Secretariat of the party after receiving a phone call. Before then, results from three wards had already been submitted by their respective electoral officers, with Seye Oladejo leading comfortably.
 
“He later reappeared at the state secretariat of the party late in the evening and allegedly submitted falsified and concocted figures to favour Fayinka, the incumbent.”
 
Supporters of the aggrieved aspirants warned that the party should brace for consequences during the general election if the alleged irregularities were not addressed.
 
However, the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Gbenga Akosile, dismissed the allegations against the governor and deputy governor, insisting that all factions and groupings within the party had already been harmonised.

He said everybody was given a fair and level playing ground.
 
Also, some APC stakeholders in Ekiti State have called on President Tinubu and the party’s national leadership to urgently intervene in the ongoing crisis trailing the House of Representatives primary elections in the state. The stakeholders alleged widespread irregularities, manipulation of results and suppression of party members during the direct primaries, particularly in Ekiti North Federal Constituency II.
 
The constituency, which comprises Ido-Osi, Ilejemeje and Moba local government areas, is currently represented by Akinlayo Davidson Kolawole. In an open letter addressed to President Tinubu on Wednesday, the group under the aegis of Concerned Ekiti APC Stakeholders described the conduct of the primaries in parts of the constituency as “undemocratic and unprogressive.”
 
The letter, signed by Coordinator Alhaji AbdulRaman Agboola and Secretary Hon. Daniel Fatoriji, condemned what they termed the “writing of results” in areas where elections allegedly did not hold. According to them, wards 5 and 6 in Usi, Ido-Osi Local Government Area, alongside several wards in Ilejemeje LGA, reportedly did not witness voting despite results later being announced. The stakeholders claimed that genuine results favouring the incumbent lawmaker were allegedly altered at the state collation centre in Ado Ekiti.
 
The story is the same in Anambra State, as the House of Representatives primaries have continued to raise dust. More so, five days after, the official results have not been announced. The situation has therefore thrown both winners and losers into a quandary.
 
Already, the appeal panel to look into petitions and objections has arrived in the state from the Abuja headquarters of the party. Repeated calls to the State Chairman, Sen Emma Anosike, yielded no response.
 
Dr Kingsley Ezekwelu, who asserted that he recorded a sweeping victory across all the electoral Wards in Idemili Federal Constituency, has disclosed that the welfare of the electorate was his watchword as he prepares to also sweep the stakes at the main poll later in the year. He noted that the nation and its citizens must be salvaged from the pervading decadence.
 
One of the contenders in the constituency, Innocent Igboekwe, called for the cancellation of the primary election. In a strongly worded petition to the National Chairman and other top officers and arms of the party, he enumerated perceived lapses he and his agents saw. It was further learnt that he has taken his appeal to the national headquarters of the party in Abuja.
Say Something :