Oyo denies reports of abducted teachers, students’ release

  Chikwesiri Michael

  LOCAL NEWS

Thursday, May 21, 2026   3:11 PM

550756260.jpg

Share Now

Abayomi Fagbenro, the Special Adviser on Security to the Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has described as untrue viral social media posts claiming that victims abducted during last Friday’s attack on three schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State had been released.

The attack on three schools in the Ahoro-Esinle/Yawota axis of Ogbomoso in Oriire Local Government Area led to the killing of no fewer than two persons and the abduction of about 30 teachers and students.

Reports claiming the release of the abducted teachers and students have gone viral since Wednesday night.

While some posts affirmed that the victims had been released, others described the reports as fake.

Some also expressed doubts about the claims, noting that no mainstream media organisation had reported the development.

Responding to an inquiry by The Newsmen on Thursday over the true situation following the viral posts, the security adviser to Governor Seyi Makinde said there had been no release of the abducted teachers and students as of Thursday morning.

“As of 10:35 am, it’s not true,” Fagbenro said.

Similarly, the Police Public Relations Officer in Oyo State, Olayinka Ayanlade, told The Newsmen at midnight on Wednesday that he was not aware of the release of the victims abducted during Friday’s attack.

Ayanlade, however, said efforts were being intensified to secure the release of those held hostage.

In the aftermath of the attack, the Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, announced the deployment of more detectives from the Force Headquarters, Abuja, to collaborate with the joint security team to secure the release of the abducted teachers and students.

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas, on Wednesday called for a “careful, clinical and timely” operation to rescue the students and teachers abducted from the three schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

Also, the Defence Headquarters, in a statement on Tuesday, said troops had made contact with the abductors and were working to ensure the rescue of the kidnapped students and teachers.

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, also said efforts were being made to secure the release of those abducted.

Gunmen invaded Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School; and LEA Primary School, Esiele, in Oriire Local Government Area, abducting scores of pupils, students and teachers.

Makinde said seven students were abducted from Community Grammar School, while 18 children and seven teachers were kidnapped from First Baptist Primary and Nursery School.

He also disclosed that one person was killed during the attack.
Say Something :